Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Easy Way Out


Some people just baffle me with they way they regard animals. I'm a true dog lover. I love their companionship and unconditional love, they're playfullness, right up to their dying day and the're ablity to live in the moment. They forgive and forget in a way us humans can only dream about and have a resilence that can not help but be admored. Yes, they can get into trouble, yes they make messes and they're not always as quiet as church mice, but the same can be said for humans. Any dog lover will tell you that each dog has a personality very much human-like, they can console or clown around and feel us with such warmth and giving us that much needed comic relief.


What baffles me is the little regard some people show for these animals. They buy that cute little puppy in the window, usually as a gift or soetimes just because they'd thought it'd 'be fun' and then come to the realization that a dog is a true responsibility, not just something to have around at their own conveinience. Once the truth sinks in, the lucky ones are 'rehomed', the not so lucky are dumped out along the side of the road, left to fend for themselves or doomed to live out the rest of theor lives alone and at the end of a chain. Not only are they abused, but they are starved of that human affection and contact that they so dearly crave.


I have not only owned dogs most of my life, but in the past few years, fostered the ones who were abandoned by their previous owners when they became adults and the responsibility sunk in. On one hand, I am always furious to hear of so many dogs who are put up for sale because the owner 'just can care for them anymore', increasingly popular is the excuse "We're having a baby and the dog has to go". To me, that's the same thing as saying "You know what Billy, we're having a new baby, so we have to get rid of you, it's just too much for us to deal with"


The pug I recently got was a victum of just being too much trouble. I admit, she is a handful, but she's still precious! One of the boxers I fostered, Zoe, was borm deaf. Her owners were going to have her killed because they just didn't want the trouble. A local boxer rescue group stepped in and took her. Now she's happily living in a loving home where the owner is all to happy to have her. Zoe was taught sign language and is now 'helping' her owner show deaf children how deafness can be overcome. Her picture is the picture I've included in this blog. Appollo is my own boxer, I've had him ever since he was a baby and he means the world to me. I could never part with him due to lack of time or because he's just become to much trouble. Believe me, he's caused his share of grief, lol, but I wouldn't trade him for the world, just as it should be :)

No comments:

Post a Comment