Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Long and the Short of it


Well, I did it! After well over a decade of having long hair, I finally got up the courage to cut my hair! I went in for a coloring and walked out with a totally new look.


My hair had gotten almost down to my waist, but was in really bad shape. I had found more than a few grays in my hair as well, which signaled it was time to take the plunge and have it colored professionally. I knew I'd have to loose about 5 or 6 inches at least to get it back to looking healthy, so after looking through the phone book and walking up and down the halls of the mall, I decided on a salon and made my appointment.


My appointment was at 10am, allowing plenty of time between dropping my son off at school and picking him up. I got there a good 10 - 15 minutes early, just in case. The gate was still down, as they open at 10. I was standing around outside when my cell phone rang. It was the salon.....my stylist was running late so could I have my appointment moved to 11am instead? Sure, I thought. It still allows me time to get back to the school for pick up. I meandered through the mall, window shopping, untill 11.


Appointment time finally arrived and I sat in the chair explaining what I wanted. She decided to go ahead and cut the 5 or 6 inches off first and then color and then shape it up afterwards. Made perfect sense to me, so we got started. I chose this deep auburn/burgundy shade. She actually HAD purple and I've always wanted to dye my hair a crazy color just once. However my manager would have sent me home until I changed it to a 'normal' color, so I reluctantly over-looked the purple for now.


She did little groups at a time, so it took a while. I remember feeling almost grateful that my hair was half as thick as it used to be! I sat there and tried to read the book I brought while the color worked it's way in, but this proved to be furile. Nancy, the lady in a couple chairs over was a real talker. I take it she new her stylist fairly well and went on and on about so and so's divorce and the children and the women that she knew. She also mentioned how she was 37, which blew me away and I actually had to restrain myself from blurting out "Get OUT of here!" because she looked so much older. I thought wow, I'm in pretty good shape for 39 if she's only 37! her roots, which had grown out a good 2 or 3 inches were solid gray. To think I was worried because I had 10! And even without my glasses I could tell she had more wrinkles than my pug.


Aaahhh time for the rinse! Even though I love when salons wash or condition my hair, the fear of getting water in my ears still bothers me, so I have to remind myself relentlessly to relax. I swear, it's physically exhausting to be so tense for so long! She puts some kind of cream on my hair that smells like coconuts and then we switch to something that resembled bananas. The next cream smelled like strawberries and just when I was beginning to feel like a tropical island girl with a basket of fruit for a hat, Nancy's perm solution whiffed passed my nose. Yuck! THAT'll wake you up from any daydream!


We headed back to the chair where she proceeded to snip. And snip, and snip and snip....I was startled at the amount she was cutting. Had she forgotten that she already cut off quite a bit BEFORE we colored?! But the more I thought of it the more I sat there and just watched as my hair fell to the floor. I had told myself I needed a real change and the hair is one of the easiest ways to do it. So I let her have at it. She blew it dry and styled it and wow was it now short! I had never gotten my hair cut other than a slight trim after I had gotten married because my ex loved my long hair and didn't want it short. Then it became a modeling issue as most the superheroines I portray have long hair. But this was a good thing, a really big change for me. I do like it, even though I'm still wondering if I should have kept it a little longer and will proceed in growing it out again. I've had no complaints thus far, so I guess it looks ok :) If not, I have several wigs I can always sock on! :)

1 comment: