Saturday, April 17, 2010

El Durango Speciale


Every other Friday evening, after I drop my son off at his dad's I head towards this little Mexican Restaraunt close by, El Bracero. "Just one?" The maitre'd asks in his Hispanic accent. I'm now considered a regular there. They know when I walk through the door that it's just one and that I will order a margarita with sugar instead of salt. More often than not, I will get 'El Durango Speciale' as my dinner. It's awesome! It's 3 thin fried chicken breasts & 6 grilled shrimp covered with a yummy white cheese sauce and then a side of rice with a shell of sour cream and guacamole. When I'm throwing caution to the wind, I'll also have a flan for dessert. Even though it's just me, I will sit there and leisurely people watch for well over an hour. They don't rush me since I have earned my 'regular' status (not to mention, I tip well).


It's such a relaxing way to spend my evening and the strong margarita gives me the umph I need to go back to my house and start my weekend alone (well, single and kid free, I still have my dogs greet me with happy tails). While I'm there, I overhear bits and pieces of conversation that revolves around the balls Joe had for leaving Mary for Lucy or how if the girlfriend doesn't start acting like they're 'okay' the boyfriend is going to just leave without ordering. I see the interactions of whole families spending an evening out, mom, dad, kids and all or the office girls all partaking in a girls' night out. I wonder what they think of me, sitting there all alone? Do they think I'm being stood up or just hopelessly single and alone? Maybe they think I'm a food critique or an author of some sort since sometimes I jot down notes and various observations.


Though I've been divorced for 3 years now, I've been very used to eating by myself for over a decade. My ex was never huge into going out. We did on various occaissions and I loved it, but not as much as I'd like and hardly ever as a family once my son was born. That's what I miss the most and what I so desperately want to experience. Being out as a family. I often wonder if I'll ever get to experience that. Maybe I'm too old and have to just suck it up and face it that it's once experience I missed out on. But hope springs eternal. In the meantime, I will look upon those lucky ones with sincere admiration and sip my margarita with sugar, no salt. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment